I’ve had issues getting Git running on my development instance. The first installation appeared to go through but Git wasn’t working – it threw random errors trying to get a clone. So I uninstalled then tried re-installing but each time I got an error message of “Couldn’t update submodule git!”
Thankfully, after scouring the web for much longer than I preferred, I stumbled on a post where someone had the same error and was able to resolve it by resetting winsock on their machine. So… I figured I had nothing to lose. From a command prompt I ran “netsh winsock reset” then rebooted my development machine and ran the Git install again. This time it work! It went through it’s complete (and LONG) installation process and finished without error.
Hopefully this helps someone else.